Determination of seniority of re-employed officers for promotion/confirmation
MHA O.M No. 20011/3/80-Estt.(D) Dated 16.6.1980
1. The question of determination of seniority of re-employed officers should arise only in cases where the officers are re-employed before they attain the age of normal superannuation.
2. (1) Officers re-employed after they had retired/discharged, whether from Defence or Civil employment prior to the attainment of the age of superannuation under the civil rules, will, if appointed to civil posts under the provisions of the Recruitments applicable to direct recruits, be treated as direct recruits and their seniority in the grade fixed accordingly.
(2) However, where such officers are appointed to civil posts and the Recruitment Rules applicable thereto prescribed re-employment as a distinct
mode of recruitment, their seniority will be determined as under—
(a) The inter se-seniority of persons so re-employed shall be determined in accordance with the order of their selection.
(b) The relative seniority of persons so re-employed in relation to direct recruits and promotes shall be determined—
(i) Where the Recruitments Rules prescribed specific quotas for each of the categories, on the basis of rotation of vacancies based on the said quota;
(ii) In other cases, on the basis of the chronology of selection.
3. In the case of officers referred to in previous para., their confirmation and promotion to Higher posts would take place with reference to the seniority so fixed.
4. These instructions would apply subject to any special provisions that may be applicable to particular services/posts in terms of the Recruitment Rules applicable to those services/posts.